The double cross was depicted on the rider's shield in 1386. In the seal of King Jagiellonia of Poland. At first he was the Jagiellonian, later, when he was taken over by the other brothers and heirs of the ruler, he became the coat of arms of the Jagiellonian dynasty. The double cross appeared after the baptism of Jogaila, and it is probable that its symbolism was associated with this significant event for both Jogaila and the whole country. In Western European heraldry, a similar cross is called the Patriarchal Cross of Lorraine, used by archbishops, and the cross itself symbolizes baptism.
In Lithuania, the double cross is usually depicted on the rider's shield. At first he showed the ruling dynasty. 1572 after the death of Sigismund Augustus, the last descendant of the male tribe of the Jagiellonian dynasty, the double cross remained in the coat of arms of the state. Having lost touch with the dynasty, it was called the Vytis Cross. The double cross, as a symbol of the Jagiellonians, was sometimes used alone or in combination with other symbols. One of it can be found depicted in the 14th century. at the end of the year in Lithuanian coins, in the flag of the ruler's manor, called "Gončia". King Jogaila of Poland had allowed it to be used by several Polish cities, as well as Vilnius, the capital of Lithuania. Here the double cross adorned St. The top of a felled tree held in Christopher's hand.